Tuesday, April 16, 2024
Google search engine
HomeAuslandConflict in the Middle East: German navy frigate "Hessen" will soon set...

Conflict in the Middle East: German navy frigate “Hessen” will soon set sail to protect ships from Huthis

USA planning attacks in Iraq and Syria

16.38 o’clock: US officials have confirmed to the “CBS News” that plans for a series of attacks on targets in Iraq and Syria have been approved. The attacks are supposed to span over several days and also involve Iranian personnel and facilities. They are in response to the attacks on US soldiers in the region. Three military personnel were killed in a drone attack in Jordan near the Syrian border.

Officials told “CBS News” that weather will be a crucial factor in determining the timing of the attacks. While the USA is capable of carrying out attacks in bad weather, they would prefer better visibility to prevent inadvertently hitting civilians.

Frigate “Hessen” to protect merchant ships from Huthis

15.02 o’clock: The planned German participation in an EU military mission to secure merchant shipping in the Red Sea will see the frigate “Hessen” setting sail from Wilhelmshaven next week. According to dpa sources, the ship is set to depart on February 8th, allowing it to be in the operational area by the end of the month. The Bundeswehr is thus creating the conditions to promptly take on a mandate from the Bundestag.

The plans for the EU military mission include deploying several European warships and airborne early warning systems to protect cargo ships in the region. These are intended to protect merchant ships from attacks by the militant Islamist Huthi group from Yemen. The militia aims to force an end to Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip by targeting ships, which followed the unprecedented massacre by the Islamist Hamas in Israel on October 7th.

According to State Secretary of Defense Siemtje Möller on Wednesday, an EU decision on the mission is expected no later than February 19th. This could be followed by an expedited deliberation in the Bundestag, the SPD politician said on the sidelines of an informal meeting of EU defense ministers in Brussels.

The “Hessen” is equipped with anti-aircraft missiles among other things. The ship was specifically designed for escort and maritime surveillance. According to the Bundeswehr, its special radar can monitor an airspace the size of the entire North Sea.

South Africa: Israel disregards International Court ruling

08.57 o’clock: South African Foreign Minister Naledi Pandor has accused Israel of ignoring the recent ruling of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in the genocide case. “Hundreds of people have been killed in the past three or four days,” Pandor said, according to local media reports (Thursday), referring to the Israeli military operation in Gaza. This was indicated by attacks on a hospital, with which Israel had disregarded the directive of the UN court, the minister stated.

According to South Africa’s chief diplomat, Israel is doing “clearly whatever it pleases”. Pandor called on the international community to “reflect” on how to deal with a UN member state in such a situation. Pretoria will continue to exert pressure to hold Israel accountable, Pandor added.

PreviousIn The Hague last week, the International Court of Justice instructed the Israeli government to promptly take measures to safeguard civilians in the Gaza Strip. Israel is required to do everything possible to prevent genocide and ensure that humanitarian aid reaches the population. The lawsuit was filed last year by South Africa. Both the ruling African National Congress (ANC) and an influential lobby in South Africa have been expressing solidarity with the Palestinians for years. They draw parallels between the “apartheid state” of Israel and the white minority regime that controlled South Africa until 1994.

US Military: Warship shoots down three Iranian drones over the Gulf of Aden

04.01 AM: According to the US military, three Iranian drones were shot down over the Gulf of Aden. The drones were shot down on Wednesday evening at 9:10 PM local time by the US destroyer “USS Carney,” as stated by the US Central Command responsible for the Middle East in the X short messaging service, formerly Twitter. The drones were “near” the warship.

The US military did not provide information about the type of drones. The unmanned aerial vehicles can be used for both attacks and reconnaissance.

Almost three-quarters of an hour before shooting down the drones, the “USS Carney” intercepted a ballistic anti-ship missile fired by Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen, towards the Gulf of Aden, according to Centcom. “The missile was successfully shot down by the USS Carney,” stated the US Central Command.

Netanyahu: New hostage agreement not at any cost

02:28 AM: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated that he will not agree to a potential new ceasefire agreement in the Gaza war and the release of additional hostages “at any cost.” “We are working on a new framework agreement for the release of Israeli hostages still held by the Islamist Hamas in the Gaza Strip, but I emphasize – not at any cost,” said Netanyahu on Wednesday evening, as reported by the newspaper “Times of Israel.” “We have red lines,” Netanyahu emphasized, reiterating previous statements that Israel will not end the war, withdraw its troops from the Gaza Strip, and release “thousands of terrorists” from Israeli prisons for a hostage deal.

Netanyahu: Palestinian aid organization UNRWA “infiltrated” by Hamas

Thursday, February 1, 02:02 AM: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sharply criticized the embattled UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA). “UNRWA is completely infiltrated by Hamas,” Netanyahu said on Wednesday during a meeting with UN ambassadors in Jerusalem. “Other UN agencies and other aid organizations must replace UNRWA.”

Netanyahu further stated that the UN Relief and Works Agency has “served” Hamas, including in schools. “I say this with great regret, as we had hoped that there would be an objective and constructive organization providing assistance. Today, we need such an organization in the Gaza Strip, but UNRWA is not that organization,” he added.

Twelve UNRWA staffers are suspected to have been involved in the unprecedented attack by the radical Islamic Palestinian organization Hamas on Israel on October 7. According to UN reports, some of them have since been dismissed. The “Wall Street Journal” also reported, citing an Israeli intelligence document, that around ten percent of all UN agency employees in the Gaza Strip have connections to Hamas or the IslamicDschihad.

UN-Generalsekretär bezeichnet UNRWA als Grundpfeiler humanitärer Unterstützung im Gazastreifen

21.15 Uhr: Der UN-Generalsekretär António Guterres bezeichnete das in die Kritik geratene UN-Palästinenserhilfswerk UNRWA als unverzichtbar für die Versorgung der Menschen im Gazastreifen. Guterres äußerte sich am Mittwoch vor einem UN-Ausschuss für die Rechte der Palästinenser in New York

Nachdem einige Geberländer ihre Finanzierung gestoppt haben, traf sich Guterres mit Vertretern dieser Länder, um deren Bedenken anzuhören und die notwendigen Schritte zu skizzieren, um sie zu adressieren, fügte er hinzu.

Zwölf Mitarbeiter von UNRWA stehen im Verdacht, in den beispiellosen Angriff der radikalislamischen Palästinenserorganisation Hamas auf Israel am 7. Oktober verwickelt gewesen zu sein. Als Reaktion auf die Vorwürfe kündigten Staaten wie Deutschland, Großbritannien, Japan, Kanada, Neuseeland und die USA an, vorerst ihre Zahlungen an das Hilfswerk einzustellen. 

Mehrere UN-Organisationen warnten davor, die Finanzierung auszusetzen. Sie erklärten, dass dies “katastrophale Auswirkungen auf die Menschen im Gazastreifen haben” werde. Ein Vertreter der Weltgesundheitsorganisation (WHO) sagte in Genf, die Bevölkerung in dem Palästinensergebiet “stirbt an Hunger”.

Israel verlangt, dass die Arbeit des UN-Hilfswerks nach dem Ende des Kriegs im Gazastreifen eingestellt wird. Regierungssprecher Eylon Levy beschuldigte das Hilfswerk, “in großem Umfang Terroristen anzuwerben, die Nutzung seiner Infrastruktur für militärische Aktivitäten der Hamas zuzulassen und sich bei der Verteilung der Hilfsgüter im Gazastreifen auf die Hamas zu verlassen”. 

Laut dem “Wall Street Journal” haben rund zehn Prozent aller Mitarbeiter des UN-Hilfswerks im Gazastreifen Verbindungen zur Hamas oder dem Islamistischen Dschihad, berichtete eine israelische Geheimdienstquelle.

UNRWA erklärte selbst, dass eine unabhängige Untersuchung der von Israel vorgebrachten Anschuldigungen “äußerst wichtig” sei. Das Hilfswerk habe die zwölf von Israel genannten Namen mit den Aufzeichnungen von 13.000 Mitarbeitern im Gazastreifen verglichen, sagte UNRWA-Sprecherin Tamara Alrifaï. “Wir konnten acht dieser Namen zuordnen.”

Laut Alrifaï haben bislang 15 Geberländer angekündigt, ihre Zahlungen an das UN-Hilfswerk einzustellen. “Sollten sie an ihrer Entscheidung festhalten, wären die Auswirkungen für die Bewohner von Gaza katastrophal”, sagte sie.

Die radikalislamische Hamas hatte bei ihrem Großangriff am 7. Oktober auf Israel nach israelischen Angaben etwa 1140 Menschen getötet und rund 250 weitere als Geiseln in den Gazastreifen verschleppt. Israel geht seither massiv militärisch im Gazastreifen vor, erklärtes Ziel ist die Vernichtung der Hamas. Nach Angaben des von der Hamas kontrollierten Gesundheitsministeriums, die nicht unabhängig überprüft werden können, wurden im Gazastreifen bislang mehr als 26.900 Menschen getötet.

US-Streitkräfte vernichten Huthi-Rakete

02.21 Uhr: Das US-Militär hat nach eigenen Angaben erneut eine Schiffsabwehrrakete der militant-islamistischen Huthi zerstört. Das Geschoss sei am späten Dienstagabend (Ortszeit) aus dem von der Miliz kontrollierten Gebiet im Jemen in Richtung des Roten Meeres abgefeuert worden, teilte das Zentralkommando der Vereinigten Staaten auf dem Online-Portal X (früher Twitter) mit. Den Angaben zufolge gab es keine Verletzten oder Sachschäden.

Bericht: Mindestens Hälfte der Gaza-Gebäude beschädigt oder zerstört

02.10 Uhr: Fast vier Monate nach Beginn des Krieges im Gazastreifen ist einem Medienbericht zufolge mindestensdie Hälfte aller Bauwerke in dem Küstenbereich am Mittelmeer beschädigt oder vernichtet. Laut dem Sender BBC wurden zwischen 144.000 und 175.000 Bauwerke beschädigt oder zerstört, was 50 bis 61 Prozent aller Strukturen in dem Küstenabschnitt entspricht. Die Satellitenaufnahmen zeigen zudem, dass die Bombardierung des südlichen und zentralen Gazastreifens seit Anfang Dezember zugenommen hat, wobei die stark umkämpfte Stadt Chan Junis im Süden des Küstengebiets besonders stark betroffen ist.

Israel unterstreicht regelmäßig, dass es sich im Konflikt mit der islamistischen Hamas und nicht mit den Zivilisten befindet. Die Kämpfer der Hamas nutzen zivile Strukturen, um Angriffe zu starten, Waffen zu lagern und Zugänge zu unterirdischen Tunneln zu verbergen. Laut BBC wurden Wohngebiete im gesamten Gazastreifen verwüstet, einst belebte Einkaufsstraßen zerstört, Universitäten dem Erdboden gleichgemacht und Landwirtschaftsflächen aufgewühlt.

Alle Updates zum Angriff im Nahen Osten finden Sie auf den nächsten Seiten.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments